Growing up, my father owned a small business. On his desk was a worn out bumper sticker that read, “a goal without a plan is just a wish.” Every time I visited him at work, I would see that quote and I couldn’t help but ruminate on it.
As I grew older, studied in college, and entered the workforce for myself, I would find that quote would randomly pop into my thoughts. This simple sentence helped to serve as a reminder and helped me to take the first step on many projects–making a plan.
It’s funny, because inspirational and motivational quotes surround us and I often feel like they are over done and not effective. They can pretty much be described as white noise. However, every once in a while, one sticks with me and seems to appear in my mind right when I need it.
It seems that there are some disagreements in opinion over the efficacy of inspirational and motivational quotes. To each their own. But, if you are in a rut, if you are looking to be reminded of something, or if you are hoping to help out fellow employees or colleagues, then, perhaps one of these motivational quotes can be of use to you.
1. Limit your ‘always’ and your ‘nevers” –Amy Poehler
Don’t put yourself in a box by using always or never. You’ve probably already done plenty of things that you never thought you would, or you’ve probably already changed the way that you always have done something.
2. Don’t wait. The time will never be just right. –Napoleon Hill
Timing is the perfect excuse for anything–asking for a promotion, leaving a comfortable job, starting a business…. Don’t let timing be your excuse anymore because otherwise, it will never happen.
3. If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way- Martin Luther King, Jr.
I love this quote because it holds all of us accountable. Whatever we are doing, we can do it in a great way.
4. Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. –Charles R. Swindoll
This is a great one for those of us who tend to bemoan our circumstances. Sure, they definitely play a part (for some people more than others), but that doesn’t mean they control everything.
5. Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to just try one more time. –Thomas A. Edison
And if that one more time doesn’t work…try again!
6. If you’re going through hell, keep going. –Winston Churchill
A good one to remember for a bad day, bad week, or bad year.
7. Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. –Arthur Ashe
Feeling lost as to where to actually begin with something? These are simple directions to get you started.
8. Well done is better than well said. –Benjamin Franklin
I think we can all agree with this one, right?
9. Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice. –Wayne Dyer
Feeling overwhelmed or defeated? Make the choice to take a step forward.
10. You just can’t beat the person who never gives up. –Babe Ruth
A simple truth to remind us to once again, give it another try.
11. Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today” –Will Rogers
I’m someone who often gets bogged down by “yesterday.” However, what’s done is done, and it’s time to work on today.
12. Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right. –Henry Ford
Another quote that reminds us how powerful our own choices and decisions are.
13. Security is mostly a superstition. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. –Helen Keller
This quote is one that may be scary or comforting. Oftentimes the concept of security is a big influencer on our decisions. However, it is just a concept. We never really know what will happen, so you might as well take the leap.
14. Hire character. Train skill. –Peter Schutz
Good advice for the hiring process. Also, a good reminder for the employee that may worry about their lack of skill.
15. Someday is not a day of the week. –Denise Brennan-Nelson
How many of us assign tasks or goals to “someday?” It’s not a day of the week, and you won’t find it in your planner or smartphone calendar, which means it won’t get done.
16. Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, ‘Make me feel important.’ Not only will you succeed in sales, you will succeed in life. –Mary Kay Ash
This may not be a quote to make you feel wonderful about getting out of bed in the morning, but it is great and practical advice for success.
17. It’s not just about being better. It’s about being different. You need to give people a reason to choose your business. –Tom Abbott
It’s about being different. Think about how you are different and let that encourage you instead of cause you to despair.
Looking for some more advice for your business? Contact us at Lumen Advisory and Finance!